[EMS Discuss] Punkin' Chunkin' Questions?

Rick Osgood EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Nov 14 09:46:43 PST 2013

This is good stuff.  I'm not sure what the answer is.  We can try to do
larger group projects as a whole group but those tend to have a problem
where there is no set deadline and the project can get stale.  The near
space balloon comes to mind.  The competition creates a real solid deadline
that must be met so work has to get done.  I agree though that it might be
a more overall positive experience if everyone could openly work together
and help each other in a friendly way.

Perhaps for future competitions we can require some level of openness or
something.  Like maybe you can keep your design secret until 2 weeks before
the contest or something like that.  This way most teams will be committed
to a design and they won't have enough time to really change what they are
doing based on other teams designs.  That way there is less worry about the
secrecy aspect and teams might be able to help each other out.

Another idea would be to hold smaller scale contests at EMS where teams
must build their contest entries at the shop during designated times.  For
example we could have a weekend "hackathon" where you have to build some
contraption from Friday - Sunday and you must do it at EMS.  That way the
shop is bustling and there's no way to keep it a secret.  But the contest
is so fast paced that people won't have time to be concerned with what
others are doing.  Not sure if that would work but it's an idea at least.

I do intend to share information about each team's entry on the EMS blog
once the competition is over assuming the teams work with me on it.  I'm
happy to publish that information sooner if any teams are willing to give
up some parts of their design plans and open up to the others.  I think
progress posts would be awesome.