[EMS Discuss] idea...? :D

Mr. Clif EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Oct 20 12:32:28 PDT 2013

On 10/20/2013 11:56 AM, James Hukill wrote:
> Cliff,
> Excellent and thanks again for all the hard work on and coordinating
> the new shop hunting.

Boy, what a slog, but You are very welcome :-)

> Other topic (sponsorship, grants, endowments)
> Is this exclusive to the EMS board or can other members take
> initiative and seek grants/endowments/sponsors and donations?  Are
> there items in the bylaws preventing multiply sources of income in
> this manner or does it require a board member to make these decisions?

The board welcomes and encourages all the participation it can get. :-)
Spontaneous activities are great, though to have a bit more coordination
(read effectiveness) forming a committee  is probably a good way to go.
Specifically, yes please "take initiative and seek
grants/endowments/sponsors and donations."

I think that yes, all donations probably have to be approved by the
board. Certainly any that have strings attached. Though there is nothing
preventing multiple sources of income.

> Also, is this something that is a "board function",  to coordinate
> these duties?  example:
> I think I remember that we got some Teensy boards from Paul.  Did we
> ever do anything with them post/brag about them or say thanks in a
> public way to return the favor?  He has come out with the 3.0
> <http://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy3.html> and I don't think we got one,
> could be we did not follow up with the one we got.

Yes it would be better if the board was a bit stronger in outreach, PR,
and thanking our contributors. However our members could take the
initiative and do a lot of that too. As long as you're not committing
the organization to anything, only the board can do that.

Hey James, thanks for the stimulating discussion on some very important
isues!

     Clif