[EMS Discuss] pumpkin chunkin?

Tom Conlin EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Oct 24 14:21:12 PDT 2013

On 10/24/2013 02:08 PM, Rick Osgood wrote:
> I'll get in touch with the Science Factory and ask if we can use their
> property.  If they are into the idea I think I can find some spare
> cycles to organize a simple event.  Hopefully they will be interested
> and they can promote it too.

I received this recently  but I am not available in their time frame. I
do not thing they would mind anyone else from EMS helping out.

Begin forwarded message:

 > From: Mary Beth Hepp-Elam <EMAIL HIDDEN>
 > Subject: Churchill Engineering Class needs your help - enters Punkin
Chunkin' competition at OSU
 > Date: October 15, 2013 1:13:37 PM PDT
 >
 > Dear Churchill High School STEM supporters:
 > We need your help.
 > The Principals of Engineering class at CHS is entering the Punkin
Chunkin' 2013 competition at OSU.  Next week the students will form
teams of four to design and create a Punkin Chunker (see attachment) but
we need your help.

 > Can you?
 >
 >     Donate $30,  total fees for three teams
 >     Donate cash to purchase pumpkins and chunkin' machine (trebuchet)
supplies
 >     Work with students in a team setting (one or more times during
design/build phases)

 > Here is the schedule for the Punkin Chuckin' Competition
 >
 >     Tuesday, Oct. 22 - Thursday, Nov. 7:  11:15-12:25 Principals of
Engineering (POE) class w/partner volunteers will break into ten teams
of four to begin design and creation of trebuchets. (Greig Thompson and
Ted K., and other partner volunteers) See attached rules.
 >     Friday, Nov. 8 - 3:30 - POE Pumpkin' Chuckin' Prelims - Top 3
teams move on to the finals at OSU. Location TBA.
 >     Friday, Nov. 11 - 12:30 - Activity van loads for trip to OSU, Ted
K. drives his pickup truck with trebuchets.

 > Please reply to me and let me know what you can do.  Thank you so
much for being such great partners.
 > p.s. The pumpkins must be orange, I wonder why … 8->
 >
 > Sincerely,  8-X
 > Mary Beth Hepp-Elam   Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches
in the soul, and sings the tune without the words, and never stops at
all. — EMILY DICKINSON
 > School-to-Careers Coordinator
 > Churchill High School
 > 1850 Bailey Hill Rd.
 > Eugene, OR  97405
 > 541-790-5262
 > Fax:  541-790-5110

> On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 11:48 AM, Sam Foster <EMAIL HIDDEN
> <mailto:EMAIL HIDDEN>> wrote:
>
>     Sounds like great fun to me. I'm sure I could get my kids interested
>     in building a trebuchet for the event.
>
>     /Sam
>

>     On 10/24/2013 8:40 AM, Rick Osgood wrote:
>
>         I was thinking members could just sign up either as individuals
>         or as a small team and each team would build some device to
>         launch small pumpkins.  Sounds like that could work if you
>         wanted to enter.  I haven't really gotten any responses that
>         indicate interest though.

        ... nice weather  eh?    EMAIL HIDDEN