[EMS Discuss] [EMS Board] Missed board meeting

Chuck Edson EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Oct 25 09:20:51 PDT 2013

I am about 95% sure we got the wire size correct.  It looks like the size was AWG400 Aluminum.  The maximum amperage that can carry is 270 amps, according to my Ugly's Electrical Reference book (a must have if you want to get into Electrical work).  However, you need to factor in the resistance per foot of cable.  My rough estimate of how long the main run is back to the main breaker (~150 feet) brings it down to about 240 amps max for the conductor (with 200 amp service, this leaves 40 amps as a buffer).

The breaker box in the space is rated at max 200 amps -- if you add up all the breakers in the box, it goes way over 200 amps, but many of the 20 amp breakers installed in the box appear to control one light or small room, and would never come close to using the full 20 amps of the circuit -- so apparently they old occupants were using the breaker box for switching stuff on and off, which is not uncommon in an industrial space.

200 amps is not a lot of power when you have  several large power consumers, like kilns, electric glass furnaces, or a 7000 watt laser for cutting steel plate.

As for the question of "Is it enough?"  that just takes someone going down to the old shop and looking at the electrical data plates on equipment that show the amperage/wattage they will use, and adding them up. For instance, the welder probably takes a good amount of power.  I would assume the Tesla coil uses a decent amount of amperage.  A large table saw probably has a good draw.

So, we add up all the equipment that is currently in use at the old shop to get a baseline of power needed, then think forward about what may be added in the future.  Then an educated decision can be made.

Here are some examples for 120 volt things (Watts/Volts=Amps):

800 Watt Desktop Computer + monitor ~7A
1500 Watt Microwave  12.5A
Iron  ~10A
Refrigerator ~2A