[EMS Discuss] Lets schedule a time when we can all check out the 1010 Tyinn space!

Rick Osgood EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Oct 25 14:11:04 PDT 2013

What do you mean by "moving there" Sam?  Do you mean having a dedicated
space in the building for yourself to do work?  We have discussed the
possibility of renting small offices to members (or outsiders) if we got a
big enough space so we could try to offset the cost of the large space.
 I'm not sure how we would handle that legally but I think it's something
we've all talked about and are interested in.

I really like the 1010 Tyinn space myself.  It's by far the best one we've
looked at.  It's got a nice-looking entry way that is wide open.  It would
be much more welcoming to new people than our current entrance.  It would
be the perfect place to host talks, classes, or do "cleaner" activities
like microcontroller projects.  Then once we get people in the door and
feeling comfortable we can take them back to the messy spaces where all the
big, loud, messy tools are.

The only real downside to the space currently (in my opinion) is that the
electrical situation in the warehouse is really bad, and that's where we
need electrical the most.  That being said we have enough knowledge in the
group to be able to re-wire the panel to get us something much better.  We
just have to make sure we can afford to do that.  The other downside is
obviously that the price is really outside our comfort zone, but that's not
to say we can't make it happen.  It just feels riskier than say, a $1200
space that we feel more confident we could afford from the get go.

That being said I feel confident that if they accept our proposal our group
will pull together and make this work out.  It would certainly be in our
interest to get this space and work hard to get people in the door.