[EMS Discuss] New Storage Rules for Eugene Maker Space

Bob Miller EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Oct 30 12:11:05 PDT 2013

At our membership meeting Dec. 8th, I am going to propose that we
adopt some rules about storage.  I have attached a document which
would amend the Policies Document.  I will propose that these rules
take effect January 1st.

Since items up for vote have to be proposed 30 days ahead, we have
until 11/7 to discuss this and refine it.  Discuss/refine away!

Summarizing, this is what it says.

  - Every member gets one box on the shelves.
  - Additional shelf space is$5/month/linear foot.
  - Floor space is $2.50/sq ft, $25 minimum, subject to board approval.
  - Other rental - offices, work tables, etc. are up to the board.
  - Short term.  Leave your mess out for 2 hours without restriction.
Leave your oversize project in the space for 48 hours.  For free.
  - Loans - you may lend tools, but EMS may reject them.
  - Donations - you may donate tools and materials, but EMS may reject them.
  - EVERYTHING GETS A LABEL OR YOU LOSE IT!
  - "Gallery Items" are finished works worthy of display.  A Gallery
Item must be approved by majority of membership, and Gallery Item
status must be renewed annually.  We display (store) those for free.

But please read the actual proposal.

Rationale:

It may seem weird how I've split responsibilities between the board
and membership votes.  There's a simple reason, though.  The board can
act fairly quickly -- usually within 2 weeks.  So they get to make the
quick decisions.  A membership vote is much slower, and higher
overhead, but it is the actual "will of the people".  So the
membership gets as much control as possible.

I will also, between now and 11/7, make a list of current "Gallery
Items" and submit proposals to approve them.

Thank you for helping make Eugene Maker Space work!