[EMS Discuss] New space (out of thread question).

Bob Miller EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Sep 4 15:55:42 PDT 2013

Two ways to price it:

1. What would it cost us?  Take our per sq. ft. rent, multiply it by
an overhead (percentage of floor space that is common or not
rentable), then multiply it by a markup.  Typical figures might be 80%
overhead, 40% markup.  The overhead percentage would be bigger on a
tiny space, less on a bigger space. So a standard size desk, 30" by
60" plus chair space, is 20 sq ft.  If we got it for $0.50/sq.ft., we
could rent it for $0.20/ft2 * 20 ft2 * 1.80 * 1.40 = $25/month.  At
that rate, we're not losing money.

2. What is it worth to the customer?  That's a lot harder to answer.
It varies for every person.  CodeChops charges $250/month for a full
time desk.  About 10 years ago I rented a 10x10 cinderblock room from
the U of O for $110.  We could probably undercut CodeChops if we're
also requiring membership.

No, really.  I have no idea what I'm talking about.