[EMS Discuss] New space (out of thread question).

Sam Foster EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Sep 4 20:31:57 PDT 2013

At my last space, there was member who used the space daily and was
building a business using the facilities. He (voluntarily) paid a
premium rate and I believe invested some of his own money in equipment
and, electrics.

We also discussed the possibility of renting deskish space out, running
a co-working space and the range of options in between. The issue was
always finding a space that was suitable for the lathes, table saws and
similar noisy/dirty/dusty tools, that also provided cleaner, quieter
space for computerish and cleaner crafts/making work. This does exist -
lots of businesses require an office in back or above the shop floor.
But its not usually large enough to have space left over to rent out.
Walls can be built though..  (FWIW I think having a dust-free section to
the space would go a long way towards increasing the diversity of the
people and activities associated with EMS)

I currently rent a desk at codechops. I pay $100/mo for unlimited
access, with no reserved or dedicated-to-me desk. Its a pretty good
deal. For me (as a fairly typical remote worker) I need reliable wifi,
desk and chair, a bathroom, mini-kitchen (or even just a coffee
machine). and few distractions during the 9-5 period. Codechops being
smack in the middle of downtown is a plus, mostly for lunch and
coffee/snack options. I don't think the kind of people interested in
codechops or that kind of co-working office space are the same people
who might want to lease space in or next to a maker-space. I think there
you are more into the entrepreneur, prototyping-phase small/bootstrapped
business. But I could be wrong.

There are other models out there. Artist studios usually provide a cube
with some shared facilities. I can see that being an interesting mix.
Then there's this place started up while I was in Leeds - they bring in
a lot of local craftsy businesses and designer/creatives:
http://www.duke-studios.com/ .. But for any of these options to go
anywhere I think you need to start with a commitment from someone who is
motivated to make this side of the project happen. That might be a
partnership with an existing group or someone who's spotted a gap in the
market and wants to make it happen. It wont just fall out and happen by
itself though.

/Sam