[EMS Discuss] Help us find a new home!

Marie Slatton-Valle EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Sep 5 00:28:57 PDT 2013

Thanks for answering those questions Cliff.  Count me in for the next and
future building visits or related meetings.

As far as shared spaces I know our group is open to sharing space.  I think
Makerspace would be a good mix as there is a lot of overlap with the noise
factor (industrial sewing machines) and other space requirements; not to
mention the current trends in fashion design with 3-D printing and
etextiles.  I will bring it up at our next meeting this Friday.

Marie

On Sat, Aug 31, 2013 at 8:44 AM, Mr. Clif <EMAIL HIDDEN> wrote:

> Hi Marie,
>
> here are some answers as I personally see them:
>

> Marie Slatton-Valle wrote:
>
>> I'm down to help on location scouting.  I've been scouting similarly sized
>> locations for a garment production house and often think of EMS.
>>
>> I looked over the space ratings doc in the wiki and just have a few
>> questions.  1) Does EMS only want month-to-month leases or is something a
>> little longer acceptable?
>>
> Yes we did have a six month lease on our current space, and our current
> draft proposal for a new space involves a 12 month lease.
>

>     2) Does EMS need to be in an industrial zone or
>> is a commercial space okay?
>>

> Commercial is slightly preferable because it usually implies a store front
> with display windows and a bit more foot traffic. However, the trade-off is
> that the cost per square foot is higher, and often more than we can afford.
>

>    3) What is meant by noise limits on the space
>> ratings doc?
>>

> Well we have noisy shop tools like grinders and say, a book store or quiet
> office park might not like that. ;-)
>

>  That's all I can think of for now.
>>

> Thanks for your help! It would be cool if a few of us could form an
> informal group that looked at properties together. I'm interested in
> scheduling a visit to the danebo place next week. Are you interested?
>

>> Also, has anyone read this Make
>> article<http://makezine.com/**2013/06/04/making-makerspaces-**
>> creating-a-business-model/<http://makezine.com/2013/06/04/making-makerspaces-creating-a-business-model/>
>> >

>> about
>> Makerspaces as a business model?  Really solid, solid info.
>>

> Right... I should read that. :-)
>

>> Let me know what I can do to help.  Definitely down to scope out a few
>> places.
>>

> So if you're looking for a sewing place would you be interested in sharing
> with EMS?? :-)
>

>> Marie
>>

>     Clif
>

> On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 9:24 AM, Rick Osgood <EMAIL HIDDEN>
> wrote:
>
>> While things may have calmed down around EMS lately since everyone has
>>> been out enjoying the summer weather, we are still looking for a new home
>>> to support our growing membership.  Looking at the survey results from
>>> the
>>> member poll, the top three voted locations for EMS would be:
>>>
>>> Downtown Eugene followed by East Eugene or West Eugene (pretty much a tie
>>> on those two)
>>>
>>> The top features our members would like to see in a new space are:
>>>
>>> 1. Larger shop space (we currently have 1000sqft)
>>> 2. The ability to subdivide the space to separate activities
>>> 3. Larger office space for quiet/cleaner activities