[EMS Discuss] Solar Foundry

Mark Danburg-Wyld EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Sep 8 21:07:17 PDT 2013

My guess is we would need full sunlight to get much heat. Maybe it will
still get hot enough to use as an oven though, even through clouds.

Sam, good thought on scrounging the fresnel lens from an old tv - just
checked craigslist and there's several cheap-to-free ones posted. All I
need now is a truck and some free time... Apparently there's both "spot"
and "linear" versions, and the "spot" version gets much much hotter.

I doubt putting another object in the current space is a good idea,
however. Especially one that starts with a fairly large lens that has to be
rolled out into full sunlight to get really exciting results. Maybe this
one should go on the back burner for a few months until we're in a larger
space - time the build to finish when the clouds break next year?