[EMS Discuss] Solar Foundry

Kevin King EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Sep 10 11:39:24 PDT 2013

Found this on CL last night.  If anyone is in the area Vancouver, WA.  49.5" x 37" Fresnel Lens!  $40
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/for/4040080452.html

________________________________
 From: Bob Miller <EMAIL HIDDEN>
To: Mark Danburg-Wyld <EMAIL HIDDEN>
Cc: Sam Foster <EMAIL HIDDEN>; "EMAIL HIDDEN" <EMAIL HIDDEN>
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 10:20 AM
Subject: Re: [EMS Discuss] Solar Foundry

You spoke first.  You've got a lens.  Please set things on fire where
we can watch. (-:

I am totally intrigued by John's harmonograph idea, though.  It seems
like a challenging mechanical design problem.  So the other lens is
reserved for harmonographics.

The focal length on these lenses appears to be 6 to 8 feet.

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 8:51 AM, Mark Danburg-Wyld
<EMAIL HIDDEN> wrote:
> Keeping the focal point on a plane would be a problem for a harmonograph,
> probably.
>
> Bob, I would appreciate a lens. I promise to set something on fire with it,
> but in a controlled, contained manner.
>

> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 5:46 AM, John Burridge <EMAIL HIDDEN>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hmmm.  Sand tray + fresnel lens + two pipes on universal joints =
>> solar harmonograph.
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 2:25 AM, Bob Miller <EMAIL HIDDEN> wrote:
>> > Solar food cookers generally work in cloudy conditions.  They are not
>> > as hot, obviously.  If I recall, they take about twice as long to cook
>> > on a cloudy day.
>> >
>> > The foundry has a very small working volume so it requires a
>> > concentrated light source.
>> >
>> > In other news, I found my fresnel lens.  I actually have two of them,
>> > but they are small.  11 inches square.  They are still available to
>> > anyone who is actually going to build one of these.

>> > --
>> > Bob Miller                              K<bob>
>> >                                        EMAIL HIDDEN
>>

>> --
>> ----
>>
>> John Burridge
>> EMAIL HIDDEN
>> http://johnburridge.blogspot.com

Bob Miller                              K<bob>