[EMS Discuss] Getting started at Eugene Maker Space.

Christopher Brown EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Sep 12 12:12:56 PDT 2013

Hello Everybody!   I'm Chris Brown.  I just recently got turned onto Eugene
MakerSpace with a recommendation by one of my friends.  I'm a electronics
novice, but I haver decided to buy a electronics kit from SparkFun.com.
Unfortunately, it's on back-order, but hopefully soon, I'll be able to
purchase the kit and start learning the basics.

In the meantime, I have a interesting project that I want to start with:

  I have a portable 12V DC battery-powered speaker system I use all the
time.  With the volume on pretty low, I can get around 4 hours of listening
out of it.  I love to take it everywhere and sometimes I would like to play
it louder and haver it to last longer than it currently has the capability
to do.

Therefore, I would like to build a additional battery pack to run it when
it goes dead, charge it up when not in use, along with putting some 5V USB
ports on it, so I, or other people can charge their mobile devices, when
electricity is not available.

So far my friend has found a couple batteries that might work.  I was told
not to use Lithium Ion batteries, as they have a history of exploding or
leaking or not being as stable as Lead-Acid batteries.

So for we have 2 12V, 5.8Ah Lead-Acid batteries to start with.  We are also
looking at a power supply that would use the the same 1300mA 12V Universal
AC Adapter power connector I use to charge my speaker system currently.

If all goes well, I would like to also use a circuit board and LCD screen
to display the amount of charge left in the battery, and for it to turn off
once it's fully charged.  I would like to have it be a 12V AC input, like
my speaker system, so I can interchangeably charge both at home before I go
out .
I don't know much more about it, but here are the specifics on my power
adapter:

1300 mA Universal Adapter
Input: 100-120VAC 50/60Hz 0.45A max
Volt DC output: 3,4,5,6,7.5,9,12
Current: 1300mA
USB Output: 5VDC/1000mA

That's all I got for now.  Your advise is appreciated!
Thanks