[EMS Discuss] Help us find a new home!

Rick Osgood EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Sep 13 09:07:43 PDT 2013

I looked up zoning information on the 1010 grant space and here's what I
found.  It's zoned S-C Chambers Special Area with a subarea designation of
C-2.  So I guess they consider it S-C/C-2.  There's a TON of stuff about
what you can or can't do in each zone, but in terms of will we fit into the
zone purpose, I think these are the most relevant parts of the zoning code:

*Purpose of S-C Chambers Special Area Zone:*

1) Protect and maintain healthy existing residential neighborhoods by
ensuring compatible design for infill development in terms of mass scale
orientation and set back to complement patterns in the existing neighborhood

2) Promote a general increase in density with a mix of multi-family and
single family residential development that contributes positively to the
neighborhood pattern of single family detached dwellings

3) Protect existing commercial businesses, encourage commercial infill,
redevelopment and development with design standards that support the
neighborhood cohesiveness

4) Create transitions between higher intensity commercial land uses and
residential neighborhoods, in terms of building heights, set backs, and
building facades,

5) Establish, strengthen, and maintain a high quality urban environment
with compatible commercial, residential, and industrial use,

6) Create a pedestrian friendly environment.

I think that EMS can argue for number 1, 3, 4, 5, and 6.  Number 2 doesn't
seem to really apply to us but I also don't see how it applies to a bicycle
shop or a print shop (two previous tenants).  Other interesting things I
found about the zoning:

1) We are not permitted outdoor storage.

2) Not allowed outdoor "merchandise display".  Not sure if this would count
towards showcasing projects since we aren't selling those things.  I
imagine it would probably be fine but you never know.

3) If we have outdoor garbage storage areas then they must be screened on
all sides and things inside must not be visible from adjacent properties.

4) There are codes specifically for amateur radio antennas.  For example
how high then are allowed to be (70 feet from ground) but the higher you go
the farther away from the property lines it must be.

5) If I'm reading the code correctly we might be required to have 1 bicycle
parking space per 500sqft of space.  This applies to artist gallery/studio
space, which I think might be closest to what we are.

There's tons of stuff in the Eugene City Code so I'm sure there's more
that's applicable to us and possibly this stuff isn't really applicable and
I read it wrong.  I'm not sure how much of this stuff even gets enforced,
but it's good to know about because someone might complain and then we'll
likely have to comply.