[EMS Discuss] Help us find a new home!

Rick Osgood EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Sep 16 15:19:19 PDT 2013

I'm not sure we should count the noise ordinance thing until after you hear
back and find out if it actually applies.  When considering locations, I
think it's important to consider the purpose of Eugene Maker Space.  Each
member may have a different opinion about what purpose(s) we have, and
which are more important.  But here is what I think EMS's goals should be,
in order of what I think is most important to least important (It's a close
tie between all three though).

1) Strive to provide resources (space and tools) for people to build
anything they can imagine.
2) Build a fun and healthy community of makers/hackers who hang out, work
together, share knowledge.
3) Work within the local community (Eugene/Springfield) to help promote
making, engineering, etc.

I really like both spaces but neither are perfect.  With those three
missions in mind, if I had to choose one space I think I would actually end
up choosing the 1010 grant space.  Here's why.  The W 7th space really
helps us with Mission #1.  But in terms of Mission #2, I don't think it
puts us in any better situation than we are now, and personally I think we
need to improve our community.  I think the Grant space will help us
improve both #1 and #2.  It may not help out #1 as much as the W 7th space,
but I think it has a better balance between the two and regardless we'll be
better off with than we are now on both fronts.  I think it is better
suited to build our community, and that's something we REALLY need if we
want EMS to grow into a bigger space.  I fear that the W 7th space will be
a great workshop but it won't promote the community hangout aspect we
really need to improve.  As for Mission #3, I think the Grant space in it's
current form is better suited for this too.  With separate quiet rooms we
will be better able to host events at EMS or even to allow other
organizations to hold events within our own space.  It also has a nice
kitchen area we can use when hosting events to keep food and drink separate
from the dirty shop.  These things can really help us make strong ties with
the rest of the Eugene community.

That's the bottom line for me.  For more details about what things I like
and dislike about each space, keep reading.  But the important bit is above
so if you are already bored feel free to stop here ;)

The W 7th space is a good option but we'd have to spend time and money (who
has either?) to fix the gate issues so our members can get in off-hours.
 We also only have one small office which means if we want divided space we
need to build it ourselves (more time and money).  I fear that one reason
we don't retain new people is because they walk into our current space and
they are immediately placed into a dirty workshop environment.  There's no
clean or quiet area for them.  We can't ease them into the space.  The W
7th space is the exact same way.  Also, while I love the feeling of high
ceilings, the huge space will be very inefficient to heat.  If we had
smaller hang out rooms to compensate we might be OK, but it's tough to want
to go down to EMS on open hack night when I know I'm going to just sit
around and freeze.

The 1010 Grant space is not in a very good location, in that there is an
apartment literally on top of it and a house 3 feet from the main wall.
 Also the divisions are laid out strangely and some of the rooms are likely
too small to be useful to us.  While we do have permission to move walls,
it will take more time and money to fix.  Plus the electrical stuff we move
has to be up to code.  It has a good sized bay door, but it's not at street
level so we'll have to build a big ramp to get vehicles in.  More time and
money spent.

With all the negative things out of the way, here's a simple list of all
the things I really like about each space.

W 7th:
- Big ceilings and open space make me feel like I can build anything
- Pretty good parking
- Right next to Home Depot (for supplies and for advertising events)
- 16 foot roll up door to get big projects in and out

1010 Grant:
- Space is already divided into offices and work space
- Has an entry area that may be more welcoming to new visitors rather than
dumping them right into a dirty shop
- Probably enough street parking
- Park right across the street
- Right off West 11th