[EMS Discuss] Help us find a new home!

Mr. Clif EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Sep 16 16:28:58 PDT 2013

Wow Rick thats quite an essay! :-) Thanks for taking the time to put all
that down on paper.

I just was down at the city planner's office and the lady there gave me
lots of good info. Of course some of it was geared to get people like us
to file for permits so they can earn some more money, so with that in
mind here is what I learned...

That nose ordinance applies pretty much everywhere, specifically at both
these places. After 10 PM anyone could call in a complaint, and I
believe that if it's the second one in a year that they can fine you.
The first time you can probably get away with saying that it was the
last renter before you that did it. The second time would be your first
time, and then the third time (within a year) you would get fined. They
start about $450 for the first one and $800 something for the second
according to the lady there. So you really don't want to be close to
someone who complains.

Parking is another issue, they want to see so many parking spaces per
some amount of sqft of floor space (that could be occupied by a person)
so space that is used only for storage doesn't count. They are not sure
how they would label us but if we were artists then its about one
parking slot for about every $250 / sqft. If we are manufacturing then
its one for every 550 sqft. Bigger numbers are better because you need
fewer parking spaces, and if you have them then in the cities eyes we
arn't breaking any laws. Now the 1010 Grant space dosn't "Own" all the
slots in front of it. The city has some of those as part of the easement
so only three are actually ours. Though I don't really think anyone
would complain if we were just parking in that area in front. If there
were lots of cars in front of houses then yes it would be a problem. The
W 7th property does have lots of parking even in the cities eyes.

I agree with Rick that we want to build our community, that's one reason
we're moving. If we are successful and continue growing, then eventually
we will have to move again. The question is will that time be forced on
us by the city or at our own choosing?

PS: we can find out a lot of this info on http://rlid.org however it
costs a lot darn! :-(

     Clif