[EMS Discuss] Maker Porn

Weston Turner wstnturner at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 09:58:22 PST 2014

Aluminum's strength to weight ratio is more or less equal to that of steel (it really depends on the alloy of both the metals though), and it's stiffness to weight ratio is greater than steel's. If your talking about the aluminum alloys used in vehicles, the strength to weight ratio of aluminum is greater than that of steel. See automotive lightweighting. Ford's new F-150, a number of BMW's new cars, Land Rover's Range Rover, and the new Corvette all have major structural components made with aluminum, and some use it for their entire frame and body.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_strength
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_modulus
http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2015-ford-f-150-leads-parade-of-lightweights-at-2014-detroit-auto-show.html

If you're really into material science and you want to read a good breakdown of the advantages and disadvantages of the use of steel versus aluminum automotive and marine applications, then these people have definitely done their homework:
http://www.kastenmarine.com/alumVSsteel.htm
http://www.nem-ind.com/tech/steel-vs-aluminum

Bottom line, that Cobra replica is probably more crashworthy (and as Bob said, likely not less) than the steel original.

Regards,
Weston