[EMS Discuss] Eugene Mini-Maker Fair, Meeting with Nick and Sabrina

Sam Foster EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Jan 8 09:59:59 PST 2014

I'm keen to get a kit together for the bottle lights I've been making.
Targetting the mini maker fair would get me a deadline to hit and an
idea of the skill level and degree of assembly-required I should aim
for. Participants would walk away with a working LED light powered by a
single AA battery, in a bottle enclosure. Its a great project for using
allegedly dead AA batteries and can be adapted to almost 0 cost if you
salvage parts. Also, it gives a reason to exist for all those pretty
bottles people collect but don't know what to do with.

For the fair I'd probably I'd use a half-liter screw cap plastic water
bottle or similar as I can get lots of those easily and they are all the
same size. But the same kit should work with any screw cap bottle pretty
much. The circuit has only a few passive components (though for volume I
might use an IC for the LED drive/voltage booster). It could be a
learn-to-solder project, or I could also do it using solder-free
techniques. Probably the former for a more reliable result.

/Sam