[EMS Discuss] Eugene Mini-Maker Fair, Meeting with Nick and Sabrina

Nick Spicher EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Jan 14 11:37:07 PST 2014

Hello, EMS! Weston already nailed down the basics after our meeting with
Sabrina at MAKE, but just a few points to follow up:

-- Are there any objections to moving the Maker Faire to Saturday, June
7th? Pro: still within the school year so better luck getting students
(K-12 and college). Con: greater chance of bad weather?

-- I NEED YOUR HELP! I will be recruiting volunteers for contributing
articles to the website, recruiting makers, distributing flyers, and lots
of other tasks over the next 5 months. Even if you are not "officially"
volunteering, I hope that all of you can be unofficial promoters of the
Faire by talking it up at every chance you get.

-- Timeline is roughly as follows:
January: Publicize the return of the Faire and get the website and Facebook
page going again
February: Officially open the "Call for Makers"; recruit like crazy to get
them
March: Continue recruitment, seek sponsors, continue adding content/updates
to website/Facebook
April: Open ticket sales (early bird discount?), close Call for Makers by
May 1.
May: Finalize the program, continue to push ticket sales
June: FAIRE!

--Yes, we can allow for EMS to operate sales of some form or another. We
are still undecided about whether we want other makers to be able to vend;
I think we can handle that as it arises.

-- Sabrina revealed in a separate presentation to the MMF community this
week that we had the *third highest growth in attendance from 2012 to 2013*
of all MMFs, behind only Ottawa and Hong Kong. In other words, we are *the
fastest growing Mini Maker Faire in the U.S.!* Hooray!

Thanks, everyone, and don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any
questions.

--Nick

--
Nick Spicher, Education Director
Science Factory Children's Museum and Exploration Dome