[EMS Discuss] radio wave power question from Joshua

Craig Godwin craig at godwinlabs.com
Fri Jan 24 17:07:33 PST 2014

A crystal radio is powered entirely from radio waves.  The power output
is very low, but it will drive an extremely high sensitivity ceramic
earphone enough to hear it.   But when I made one as a kid, I had at
least 100 feet of copper wire strung around the roof of my house to make
it work.

It seems like it would take a huge antenna to get an LED to light up
constantly, but flashing an LED would be practical.

Modern watches take a tiny amount of power - a lot less than an LED.
Some power themselves just from the motion of the person wearing it.
Absolutely it would be possible to power one from RF, but the question
is how big of an antenna would be required?  I don't have a good answer
for that, but my guess is it could be made small enough to wear.

Craig