[EMS Discuss] Solar Foundry

Mark Danburg-Wyld danburgwyld at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 09:47:05 PST 2014

Update on this...

Bob got me the 11" square lenses a few weeks ago. I have one of them
mounted in a wooden frame, and it does produce enough heat that I was able,
for instance, to set a piece of cardboard on fire using it.

I also acquired a dead rear projection flat screen tv last night, which I
pulled a 46" x 26" lens from. The bigger lens has a "frosted" appearance to
it, versus the clear smaller lens. I'm not sure if that will limit its
potential but it seems sub-optimal. The salvaged framing from the tv is not
quite rigid enough to keep the lens from bending when you're flipping it
all around by yourself, but it also definitely seems to put a lot of heat
into a very small space. I haven't managed to set anything on fire with it
- yet.

My next planned step is to acquire some lumber to make it a bit more rigid,
maybe build a stand for it. After a bit more... research... it'll come to
live in the shop. I'm also salvaging other bits from the tv (nice speakers!
ooh - hdmi inputs...), the useful bits will find their way into the supply
area, but I plan to scrap the body - anyone with a pressing need for a 52"
irregular plastic box let me know.

Thanks,