[EMS Discuss] Current shop layout

Rick Osgood rick at eugenemakerspace.com
Sun Jan 26 20:40:45 PST 2014

I definitely see how having a community hang out area is a benefit and I
want to clarify that I don't want to just get rid of that kind of space.  I
think there needs to be a good balance between having that type of
collaborative space, and usable shop space.  I think each member is going
to feel differently about what type of space, tools, or resources are most
important.  Some people might think wood shop tools are a priority whereas
others may feel that a space to work on their car is important.  Some might
think having a space to sit around with other people and talk about stuff
is key.  That's the nature of a community space like this.  It will likely
change over time as well.  We simply don't have enough room right now to
make all of those things easily accessible at all times.

I think we just need to look at what we already have and work to make
everything as usable as possible.  Let's find the things that are a pain in
the ass to use/move and set those up so they are always usable.  Anything
that is easily movable can be made "modular".  This might include folding
tables to setup for open hack nights/classes/etc.  Or maybe it includes
some of the smaller power tools that are easier to store and move.  It will
most likely be a combination of both.

I want to make sure we still have a community space.  I don't want to see
EMS become just a place where all you do is walk in, use some tools, and
leave.  Community is a big part of who we are.  But I do want to make sure
it's a place that I CAN walk in, use some tools, and leave if that's what I
want to do or if that's all I have time for.  We need to make sure people
can easily get physical work done in our shop space while others can easily
get software/electronics/etc work done.  We're all bright creative people
so I know we will figure something out.