[EMS Discuss] Acrylic engraving

Craig Godwin craig at godwinlabs.com
Tue Jun 24 09:51:55 PDT 2014

I have both a CNC router and laser cutter that would do the trick.  I've
been working a lot with acrylic recently - almost on a daily basis.  My
laser software only does raster, so it works well with very detailed
patterns, but doesn't do great with cutting.  The laser usually gives
better results than the CNC but it depends on what you are doing.  I've
learned a few tricks over the last few months, so we can look at what
you are trying to do and figure out the best approach.  How big is the
part?  My laser maxes out somewhere around 8" x 12", but the CNC can
handle larger - 16" x 28" or even bigger depending on the layout.

Let me know, and we can try something over the next few days.

I've got extremely limited bandwidth, but both the laser and CNC router
could be available occasionally for EMS member projects. They are a pain
to transport (especially the CNC router), but I might drag one or the
other to the EMS shop at some point for a special event.

Craig