[EMS Discuss] FirefoxOS phones

Sam Foster sam at sneetchworks.com
Tue Jun 24 20:13:11 PDT 2014

The "Flame" phones are back on sale:
http://www.everbuying.com/product549652.html
This is the reference phone that mozilla and the firefoxOS devs are
going to be developing to primarily. Note this is *not* the $25
smartphone you might have read about. Its retailing for $170, it has
some medium-end smartphone features e.g. front/back camera, dual-sim,
but also software-configurable RAM for testing lower-spec experiences.

 From a hackers-point of view I think this (and firefoxOS generally) is
an interesting development. Its an open-source OS, the phone is
unlocked, rooted and fully hackable; there's no walled-gardens or 3rd
parties dictating what you can and can't do with it. Its a pocket
computer with a working shell which can make phone calls. I'm working on
the user-interface side of things (written exclusively in javascript,
CSS and HTML), but if you want to want to poke around it at any level
let me know.

More details:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Firefox_OS/Developer_phone_guide/Flame

/Sam