[EMS Discuss] radio between arduinos?

Greg Norman normgr00 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 27 16:54:12 PDT 2014

Ellery,

Some less expensive options are here. Of course transmitters only transmit and receivers only receive, a cheaper solution if data only goes one direction. Those marked transceiver transmit and receive data on both ends. The least expensive usually have lower power (shorter ranges) and the size of antenna has a huge effect on range. You pay for distance. The basic trancievers are less expensive and easier to intigrate for your program than the xBee. The Arduino Cookbook has a chapter on these things.

https://www.sparkfun.com/categories/79

About the xBee, they can be purchased with a variety of output power and antenna styles. The thing about xBees is they can operate in a variety of modes so are more versatile but with versatility comes more complexity so require more learning to configure and program. The xBee also needs a module you plug into to configure it.

If you want to try xBee I have a set including a programing module and cable you can borrow to see if it works for your project. I will also loan you books and help you set up the configuration program. All I ask is that you replace whatever you brake. I may or may not be able to be at EMS on Friday but if i'm not we can make arrangements.

Greg Norman